A crisp side for your meals – papads made with rice. Rice papads are usually prepared and served during the festival of Holi.
Time: 30 minutes
- 250 gm rice
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida (heeng)
- 2 small lime
- Raw salt to taste
- 4 Tbsp oil
- Take about a litre of water and bring it to a boil.
- Now add the rice and cook for five minutes.
- Drain water from rice completely. Pour this hot rice on absorbent towels. Spread and let dry. Heat a tablespoon
- of oil in a thick skillet. Add a fistful of rice at a time to this hot oil and stir continuously.
- The rice will starts to puff up. When all the rice starts to puff, remove from skillet onto a tray. Repeat.
- Let this rice cool and then make into a very fine powder. Sift once or twice to see that it is very fine uniformly.
- Mix the asafoetida, lime juice and salt in 1/4 cup of water. Pass through a strainer so that only the liquid is
- Make a well in the center of the rice flour and pour the liquid and mix well. Now, oil your palms and knead for
- about half an hour. Use up all the oil.
- Divide the dough into super sized olives and roll into thin papads. Dry in the sun and store. Deep fry in hot oil,
- to serve.