A real Kiev recipe, with seasoned butter rolled up in breaded chicken breasts for a richness fit for royalty! This recipe takes a bit of time, but is well worth the effort.
Time: 1 hr 10 min
- 8 skinless chicken legs, drum sticks
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp salt
- ½ tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tsp all purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/8 tsp paprika
- Black pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup light cream
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- In a large freezer bag combine the chicken, milk, vinegar, black pepper, salt, garlic powder and Worcestershire.
- Let marinate for 2 hours or over night.
- To make the mushroom sauce, sauté the mushrooms and butter in a hot pan on medium until soft. Mix in flour
- and paprika. Stir in cream and chicken broth and bring to a boil. Bring back down to a simmer and cook for 5
- Pour oil into a large pot or other heavy straight-sided skillet to a depth of 2″. Heat to 350°. Meanwhile, set a
- wire rack inside a large rimmed baking sheet.
- Prepare your dredging station by whisking 1 egg with a splash of milk in a shallow dish and in 2 separate dishes
- pouring out the flour and bread crumbs. Working with 1 piece at a time (use 1 hand for wet ingredients and the
- other for dry ingredients), dredge the marinated chicken in flour, then move to the egg and coat entirely.
- Finally place in the bread crumbs.
- Place 5 pieces of chicken in the oil at a time. Fry chicken, turning with tongs every 1–2 minutes and adjusting
- heat to maintain a steady temperature of 300°–325°, until skin is deep golden brown, about 10 minutes – 12
- Using tongs, remove chicken from oil, allowing excess oil to drip back into the pot; transfer chicken to prepared
- rack. Repeat with remaining chicken pieces; let cool for at least 10 minutes before serving. Serve with