Handvo is basically a spicy cake and it is one of my favorite dishes. Traditionally, Handvo is prepared from rice and daals.
- Green peas boiled ½ cup
- Yogurt warm ½ cup
- Green capsicum finely chopped 1 small
- Sweet Corn boiled 2 tablespoons
- handvo flour 1½ cups
- Bottle gourd (lauki/doodhi) peeled and grated ½ small
- Green chillies finely chopped 2
- Turmeric powder ¼ teaspoon
- Red chilli powder 1 teaspoon
- Sugar 1 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Oil for cooking
- Fruit salt 1 teaspoon
- Mustard seeds 2 teaspoons
- White sesame seeds 4 teaspoons
- Combine handvo flour and yogurt in a bowl. Add water as required and whisk well into a thick smooth batter.
- Add green peas, bottle gourd, capsicum, corn and green chillies and mix well. Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, sugar and salt and mix well. Add little water and mix
- Heat some oil in a non-stick pan.
- Add fruit salt to the batter and mix well.
- Add ½ teaspoon mustard seeds and 1 teaspoon sesame seeds in the pan and when the seeds start to splutter, pour a ladleful of batter on it and spread into a 1 inch thick
- large disc. Cover and cook on the underside for 5-10 minutes.
- Flip, drizzle some more oil all around, cover and cook on the other side for 3-4 minutes. Similarly prepare the rest of the handvos.
- Cut into wedges and serve hot.