blockextra-firm tofu, cut into 14 cubes, and trimmed into nugget shapes
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 5 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 3 tablespoons arrowroot starch or cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon white miso paste
- Splash of water for thinning
- Oil, for frying
- Honey mustard:
- 1/4 cup country mustard
- 3 tablespoons honey
- Pinch of salt to taste
- Prepareethe tofu:
- Drainthe tofu block, then pat it dry with paper towels to remove excess moisture. Cut it into 14 pieces. Cut the pieces into nugget shapes if you like.
- Laythem out on a sheet pan lined with paper towels, and sprinkle with salt on both sides. Cover tofu with a couple more paper towels, place another sheet pan on top, then place something heavy on top of the sheet pan to help press out extra water. Let it sit for 20 minutes
- Make the coating:
- Ina small bowl, mix together the onion powder, garlic powder, nutritional yeast and arrowroot starch until combined. Set aside.
- Ina separate small bowl, mix the miso paste with a splash of water to thin it slightly. Using a pastry brush, brush the dried tofu on both sides. Dip them into the coating mixture to coat. Place them on the sheet tray, discarding the wet paper towels, and place in the freezer for 1 hour or until just firm.
- Frythe nuggets:
- Whilethe nuggets are freezing, heat oil in a fryer. Remove the nuggets from the freezer and fry them in batches until golden brown, about 4 to 6 minutes. Drain them on a paper towel for a few minutes. (They get spongier like chicken if they get a chance to rest.)
- Makethe honey mustard:
- Ina small bowl, combine the mustard, honey and salt. Serve with the warm nuggets