Cook Time: 20 Minutes
Delicious chicken chunks tossed in sticky soy sauce with garlic, bell peppers and snow peas.
- 1 pound chicken thigh/breast (cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thin strips)
- 1 tsp sesame oil (toasted )
- 1/4 tsp white pepper ( finely ground)
- 1 tsp ginger juice
- 2 Tbsp peanut oil or vegetable oil, divided
- 5-6 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 Tbsp ginger (grated)
- 1 tsp red chili flakes
- 1/2 cup red onion (chopped)
- A handful of snow peas (trimmed)
- 1/2 red bell pepper (cut into thin strips)
- For the sauce:
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tsp Chinese rice wine, or dry sherry (optional)
- 1/2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp cornflour
- In a large bowl, toss chicken strips with toasted sesame oil and white pepper. Marinate for 10-15 minutes. Keep aside.
- In a small bowl, stir together rice vinegar, soy sauce, dark soy sauce, Chinese rice wine (if using), brown sugar and cornstarch. Set aside.
- Heat a wok or large frying pan over high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of oil. When the oil is hot, add the chicken pieces, spreading it out as much as possible.
- Sear for 1 minute without stirring until the edges are lightly browned, then stir to cook all sides until just cooked through , about 2-3 minutes more. Transfer chicken to a bowl and set aside.
- Reheat the same wok, Put in another tablespoon of oil, add in garlic, ginger, and red chili flakes. Stir-fry over low heat for about 10-15 seconds, or until aromatic, taking care not to burn the garlic. Turn up the heat to high, add in snow peas and red onion, and stir-fry for another 30 seconds.
- Add in red bell pepper, and cook for one minute – making sure to stir and toss the ingredients well.
- When the vegetables are bright and almost crisp-tender, stir in the cooked chicken.
- Take the prepared sauce, give it a stir, and quickly pour it into the wok, cooking until the sauce thickens.
- Add in one or two tablespoon of water if needed, toss well, and cook for a further 30 seconds or the mixture is hot and bubbly.
- Turn heat off, and transfer to a serving plate.
- Serve hot with steamed rice.