Pickle or Achaar is a very common commodity found in Indian households.
Time: 30 minutes
- 1/2 cup sliced red chilli
- 1 tablespoon anise
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoon black mustard seeds
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoon salt
- In a small tub wash all the red chilies and wipe them properly using a paper towel or kitchen towel. Cut the red
- chilies length wise and remove the seeds from them. Now pour these chilies in a bowl and add salt to it. Keep it
- aside for some time.
- Since after adding salt the water will drain out of the chilies. Drain out this water using a strainer and keep the
- chilies aside. Mix fennel seeds (saunf), black mustard seeds (rai) and mustard seeds well in a large bowl. Add
- the red chilies to this bowl.
- Now heat oil in a vessel on a high flame. Once its warm, pour half of it into the bowl of red chilies. Mix well.
- Now squeeze the lemon on top of it. Again, mix well using your hands. Now pour this mixture into a large
- pickle jar. Pour the remaining oil on top of it and cover the jar. Keep it aside for some time.
- Your red chili pickle is ready now. Serve it with khichdi, thepla or a parantha. You can store this air tight pickle
- jar in a refrigerator.