Shahi Rogan Josh is an authentic Kashmiri easy-to-make recipe. Made with soft minced mutton, it is rich in clarified butter (ghee) and is filled with cashew nuts.
Time: 1 hr 15 minutes
- 300 gm mutton
- 1 1/2 cup yoghurt (curd)
- 12 piece cashews
- 4 1/2 tablespoon ghee
- 2 pinch saffron
- 1 1/4 tablespoon coriander powder
- 7 red chilli
- 3 medium onion
- 5 medium green chilli
- 8 clove garlic
- 1 1/4 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 4 medium tomato
- 1 1/4 inch ginger
- 1 1/4 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 1/4 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 cup water
- Chop the green chilies, onions and tomatoes and keep them aside in seperate bowls. Mince the mutton and
- keep it in another bowl. Also, take a small bowl of water and soak the saffron in it.
- Grind turmeric powder, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, ginger, garlic, salt and red chillies together, making a
- thick paste.
- Place a deep pan on medium heat and put ghee in it. Add the chopped onions, green chilies and tomatoes and
- fry them till the ghee starts to separate. Then add the paste and minced mutton (keema) and stir well. Simmer
- the mutton for a few minutes.
- Now, beat the curd thoroughly using a beater or churner until it becomes smooth in texture. Add this curd and
- a cup of water into the pan and stir well. Cook the mutton till it becomes tender and the gravy gets thick.
- Once cooked, add garam masala, soaked saffron and cashwenuts to the mutton gravy. Stir again.
- Cover the pan and let the gravy and mutton cook for few minutes.
- Shahi Rogan Josh is now ready to be served hot. Garnish with lime wedge, green chilies and coriander leaves if
- you wish.