Soya Chunks Biryani Recipe
One of the protien enriched easy biryani : Soya Chunks Biryani
Time: 45 minutes
- Soya Chunks – 3 cups cooked
- Basmati Rice – 2 cups
- Onion – 2 large sliced thinly ( Reserve some for deep frying)
- Ginger Garlic Paste – 2 tblspn
- Tomatoes – 3 large chopped finely
- Green Chilli – 2 slit
- Mint Leaves – ½ cup
- Coriander leaves / Cilantro – ½ cup
- Curd – 1 cup ( Thick and Unsour)
- Chilli powder – 2 tsp
- Coriander powder / Malli Podi – 1 tblspn
- Turmeric Powder / Manjal Podi – 1 tsp
- Soya Sauce – 1 tblspn
- Salt to taste
- Oil- 1 tblspn
- Butter or Ghee – 2 tblspn
- Lemon Juice- 1 tblspn
- Whole Spices:
- Cinnamon / Pattai – 1 small stick
- Cumin Seeds / Jeerakam – 1 tsp
- Star Anise – 1 small piece
- Cardamom / Yelakai – 4
- Cloves / Krambu – 4
- Bay Leaf / Brinji Ilai – 1
- Cashews – 1 tblspn
- Raisan / Kishmish – 1 tblspn
- Wash basmati rice in lots of water. Soak it for 30 mins. Drain and set aside till use.
- Heat 1 tblspn of butter and 1 tblspn of oil in a pressure cooker. Add all wholes spices in the list and sauté for 1 mins.
- Add onions and green chilli and sauté till golden brown. Add ginger garlic paste and sauté for a min.
- Add in tomatoes and cook this till they turn mushy.
- Add in coriander leaves and mint leaves and mix well.
- Add curd, soya sauce, chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, salt and mix well.
- Add in cooked soya chunks and mix well. Add in soaked drained rice and mix well.
- Pour in 3 cups of water and bring this to a boil. Simmer the flame and cook covered for 15-20 mins untill the rice is cooked and absorbed all the water.
- Fry onions in a tblspn of ghee or butter and fry till golden brown. Pour this onions over the rice and mix gently.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and a squeeze of lemon juice and serve.