A sandwich like a french toast with italian flare, stuffed with Mozzarella cheese, pesto and more
Time: 40 minutes
- 1/4 cup pesto, recipe follows
- 1/4 cup fresh cherry tomato sauce, recipe follows
- 4 slices soft thick white bread
- 6 ounces fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Oil, for frying
- Spread 4 pieces of bread with pesto. Spread the remaining 4 pieces of bread with tomato sauce. Divide the
- mozzarella between the 4 slices of bread with pesto, and top with the tomato sauce bread. Use a sharp knife to
- remove the crusts. Pinch edges together to seal.
- In a small casserole dish, whisk the eggs with the milk; season with salt and pepper.
- In a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat, add 1/4 inch of olive oil. Once hot, add the sandwiches in batches,
- and fry on both sizes until golden and crisp and the mozzarella is melted, about 4 to 5 minutes per side.
- Slice into triangles for serving.