A vegetarian delicacy! Mushroom caps stuffed with paneer, black pepper, pomegranate seeds and cooked in a gravy made with poppy seed, milk and turmeric.
- 16 morels-soaked, washed and slit
- 16 tsp pomegranate seeds
- 16 tsp paneer-grated
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp powdered black pepper
- 1 cup ghee
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 6 peppercorns
- 4 cloves
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon-broken
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup poppy seeds (khus khus)-soaked in water and ground
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup almonds-ground together
- Saffron-soaked in 2 Tbsp warm milk
- Pomegranate seeds for garnish
- Mix the paneer, pomegranate seeds, black pepper and salt and fill into the morels.
- Heat ghee and fry the morels over high heat, till glossy.
- Lift with a slotted spoon, and keep aside.
- In the remaining ghee add cumin, peppercorns, cloves, cinnamon and bay leaf and saute till a little dark.
- Add the poppy seed paste and turmeric and saute till fat separates.
- Add a cup of water, and bring to a boil, add the milk mixture, lower the heat and simmer, stirring a few times.
- Add the morels and saffron mixture, simmer for a minute and serve hot garnished with the pomegranate seeds.