Time: 30 minutes
This bright side dish goes especially well with enchiladas or tacos. Unsweetened almond milk lends a natural, delicate sweetness and moistness to the rice while also boosting protein content.
- 1½ cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup plain unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup packed, trimmed watercress sprigs, plus more watercress for garnish, divided
- ½ cup packed cilantro leaves
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 ½ Tbs. olive oil
- 1 ½ cups jasmine rice
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (¾ cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
- 6 Tbs. toasted, salted pepitas or pumpkin seeds, optional
- 1 Purée broth, almond milk, watercress sprigs, cilantro, and salt in blender until smooth.
- 2 Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add rice, and sauté 2 minutes. Add onion and garlic. Stir in watercress purée, and bring to simmer, stirring often.
- Reduce heat to low. Cover tightly, and simmer 15 minutes, or until rice is almost tender. Remove from heat.
- Let stand, covered, 3 minutes.
- 3 Gently fluff rice with fork. Transfer to bowl, and serve sprinkled with watercress leaves and pumpkin seeds, if using.