- 4 chicken thighs with skin, pierced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 tsp peeled and grated root ginger
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- Pinch of chilli powder or 1 green chilli (seeded and chopped)
- 1 Tbsp tomato puree
- Preheat the oven to 200C / 400F / Gas Mark 6.
- Place the chicken thighs in a bowl.
- Stir together the rest of the ingredients, then rub the mixture over the thighs thoroughly.
- Lay them on a baking tray and roast for 30 minutes.
- Take them out of the oven and serve with mashed potato or hot pitta breads.
- You can use the same ingredients to baste a whole chicken for a Sunday roast, but if you do, cook the potatoes and other vegetables plainly – the meat has all the flavour you need.