Lemon rice is a delicious south Indian dish. Lemon juice gives a very refreshing and tangy flavor to the rice.
Time: 25 minutes
- 1 cup long grain rice (basmati rice)
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1/8 tsp asafoetida (heeng)
- 1 tsp mustard seeds (sarson)
- 7-8 or 1 tsp dried and crushed curry leaves (kadhi patta)
- 2-3 whole red peppers (sabut laal mirch)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric (haldi)
- 2 tsp salt or to taste
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp chopped coriander leaves (hara dhania)
- Pick and wash the rice and soak for at least 1/2 hour.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the asafoetida, mustard seeds, curry leaves and the red peppers.
- When the seeds begin to splutter, add the rice and turn around a few times.
- Add the turmeric, salt and 1 1/2 cups water, and bring to a boil, uncovered.
- When it comes to a boil, sprinkle a few drops of lemon, cover the pan and lower the heat. The rice should cook in 10 minutes. In case you want it to cook slower, place a
- griddle or something under the pan after it has come to a boil and you have lowered the heat.
- Shut off the heat, and mix in the lemon juice and half of the coriander leaves.
- Transfer on to a serving dish, garnish with the rest of the coriander leaves and serve.