Simple yet delicious crispy, juicy and flavorful jalebis
Time: 30 minutes
- Refined flour (maida) 1 cup
- Yogurt 1/2 cup
- Sugar 3 cups
- Milk 1 tablespoon
- Saffron (kesar) a few
- Ghee for deep-frying
- In a large bowl, whisk refined flour, yogurt and sufficient water to a smooth and pouring consistency batter.
- Cover and keep in a warm place to ferment for 24 hours.
- Beat the batter with your hands again for 15 minutes. Cook sugar with 2 cups water in a deep non-stick pan on
- high heat, stirring continuously, till the sugar dissolves.
- Add milk and when the scum rises to the top, collect it with a ladle and discard.
- Add saffron and cook, stirring, till the syrup reaches one string consistency. Keep the syrup warm. Heat
- sufficient ghee in a kadai on medium heat.
- Pour some batter onto a jalebi cloth, gather the edges and make a tight potli.
- Squeeze round spirals into the hot ghee and deep fry, turning them over gently a few times, till they are evenly
- golden and crisp.
- Drain and soak in sugar syrup for 2-3 minutes. Take them out of the syrup and serve hot