This Classic Italian Lasagna includes the béchamel white sauce and the most amazing homemade red sauce. Lasagna is one of those recipes everyone has on file, but I’m urging you to toss your recipe aside and try this version. Seriously, it’s the closest thing you’ll ever get to ordering straight from an Italian restaurant!
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. dried basil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2-1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 15 oz. container ricotta cheese
- ½ cup freshly grated parmesan
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 5-6 leaves of fresh basil, chopped
- 1 25-28 oz. jar pasta sauce
- 12 lasagna noodles, uncooked
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 13 x 9-inch baking dish with aluminum foil. Set aside.
- Brown meat in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add thyme, crushed red pepper, oregano, garlic powder and dried basil while still cooking. Meanwhile, mix egg, 1-1/4 cups mozzarella cheese, ricotta cheese,1/4 cup parmesan, parsley and basil until well blended. Set aside.
- Drain beef, return to skillet. Stir in pasta sauce. Spread 1 cup of the sauce onto the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Top with layers of lasagna noodles, one-third of the ricotta cheese mixture, and 1 cup of the sauce. Repeat layers twice. Top with remaining 3 noodles and the remaining meat sauce. Sprinkle with remaining 1-1/4 cups mozzarella cheese and ¼ cup parmesan. Spray one side of aluminum foil with cooking spray (to avoid cheese sticking) and lightly cover dish.
- Bake 45 minutes. Remove foil; bake an additional 15 minutes, or until heated through. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting to serve.Enjoy!