Preparing lunch is the most daunting task and the question, ‘what is to be cooked today’ is something that all housewives detest.
Time: 50 minutes
- 200 gm cubed eggplant/ brinjal
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon refined oil
- 1 dash mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon ground poppy seeds
- 1 clove
- 1/2 tablespoon powdered jaggery
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1 pinch powdered turmeric
- 1/4 cup tamarind extract
- 1/2 cup grated coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon moong dal
- 1/8 teaspoon asafoetida
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 inch cinnamon stick
- 1/2 teaspoon yoghurt (curd)
- 2 pinches salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sesame seeds
- For Garnishing
- 1 handful chopped coriander leaves
- Heat oil in a pan over moderate flame. Fry the moong dal, mustard seeds, asafoetida with onions. Saute the
- onions till they turn slightly pinkish in hue. Add ground garlic and fry. Keep stirring till the raw smell of the
- garlic goes away.
- Now add coriander powder and brinjals. Fry till the brinjals change colour. Cover the pan with a lid and allow it
- to cook on low flame. Simmer till brinjals are soft. Add poppy seeds, cinnamon and cloves. Stir well.
- After few minutes, add curd, jaggery and salt. Keep stirring. Add sesame seeds, turmeric powder, coconut, chilli
- powder and cook for a few minutes. Now add tamarind pulp mixed with a little water. Simmer for 5 to 7
- minutes with the lid on.
- Once the curry is ready, transfer it to a serving bowl and garnish with coriander leaves. This delicious main
- dish recipe goes well with naan and steamed rice. Serve hot.