Think of this cheesy sandwich as a vegetarian Reuben with a homemade Thousand Island dipping sauce.
Time: 30 minutes
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard powder
- 3 tablespoons ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground white pepper
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 4 slices rye bread
- 1/2 cup sauerkraut
- For the sauce:
- 1 egg, hardboiled
- 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon onion, minced
- 4 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- Salt & pepper
- In a small bowl, combine spices and set aside*.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the spice mixture to the Swiss cheese and mix well. Set aside.
- Push the hardboiled egg through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl, then add the rest of the sauce ingredients and
- mix well. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Butter each side of the rye bread, and add to the pan.
- Divide seasoned cheese between all four slices of bread, and turn heat up slightly.
- When the cheese is almost melted, add sauerkraut to two of the slices, then top each with a cheese-only slice.
- Press with a spatula and let cook. Keeping a close eye on the sandwiches, turn and press at intervals to create a
- perfectly golden, crispy and melty grilled cheese.