This milk based dessert is popular in the western part of india, specially in the states maharashtra and gujarat. It is similar to rabdi.
Time: 45 Minutes
- 3 to 4 cups of full fat milk, 1 litres full fat milk.
- 10 to 12 cashenut (chopped)
- 10 to 12 almonds (chopped)
- 10 to 12 pistachios (chopped)
- 7 to 10 strands of saffron
- Pinch of nutmeg powder
- Add condensed milk in a thick saucepan. stir and mix well.
- Add the amount of milk as per your taste. It depends on the sweetness of condensed milk. One tin of condensed milk, you can add upto 4 to 5 cups of milk or more.If its too sweet add more milk.If mixture thickens cooking then add milk accordingly.
- On a low flame heat this mixture and bring to a gentle boil. So that mixture doesnt get browned or burnt from bottom, keep on stirring at intervals.
- As the basundi mixture begin to thicken. The cream collected on the top and add it back to the basundi mixture.From the sides scrape the milk.
- On a low fame overall cooking will take about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Add Cardomom powder and saffron, chopped dry fruits and nutmeg powder.
- For a minute stir and simmer.
- For summer season serve basundi chilled with some saffron strands added to it.