One’s a meal in itself!
Time: 30 minutes
- 200 gm fresh chopped broccoli
- 150 ml vegetable stock
- 30 gm Roux
- 1/2 onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 20 gm butter
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Pinch of white pepper powder
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- 2 Tbsp cream
- 50 gm shredded cheddar cheese
- Cut some broccoli florets and blanch them. Be very carefully as they cook very quickly. Once done chop them up nice and fine.
- Roux can be made by mixing 1/2 butter and 1/2 maida. Mix it over low heat, let it cook for a while and when it turns golden it’s done.
- Heat butter in a pan, sweat garlic & onion, and add chopped broccoli and saute.
- Season with salt, pepper & nutmeg powder. Saute and them take this mix out in a bowl.
- Chill in the refrigerator for a couple of minutes.
- In the meanwhile prepare the base.
- The rule with stock and roux is that you mix them when either they are both cold or hot.
- So we mix the roux and some of the stock both at room temperature into a paste.
- Add the remaining stock to a pan. Bring it to a boil and them lower the heat and let it simmer.
- Add the roux mix to it. Now while it simmers puree half of the broccoli mix and mix with the other half.
- Add cheddar cheese and simmer.
- Add the puree and fine broccoli mix.
- Now add the cream. Mix well and remove from heat immediately.
- Garnish with some cheese.