Get to taste the authentic Italian flavours with a healthy spin. Risotto made with a mix of barley, spinach and subtle spices.
Time: 45 minutes
- 1.5 litre veg stock
- 25 gms – olive oil
- 25 gms – butter
- 50 gms – chopped onion
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 3 cups barley
- 2 Tbsp freshly chopped sage
- 2 tsp finely grated lemon rind
- 100 gms baby spinach
- Place stock and 3 cups of cold water in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Cook for 10 minutes or until the mixture starts to simmer. Reduce heat to low to keep hot. Heat butter and half
- the oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until onion has softened.
- dd barley. Stir to combine. Reduce heat to low. Add 1/2 cup stock mixture to barley mixture.
- Cook, stirring, until stock has absorbed.
- Repeat with remaining stock, 1/2 cup at a time, until all liquid is absorbed and barley is tender and creamy Stir
- lemon rind into barley and add spinach, check for seasoning.
- Cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until heated thoroughly.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve risotto topped with lemon rind