- 350 gm flour
- 225 gm butter
- 100 gm caster sugar
Salt to taste
For mince meat:
- 100 gm raisins
- 100 gm currants
- 50 gm moist sugar
- 50 gm citron
- 20 gm candied lemon peel
- 20 gm candied orange peel
- 5 gm nutmeg
- 1 apple (chopped)
- 30 ml lemon juice
- 2 lemon rind
- 100 ml brandy
- Mix all the ingredients for mincemeat together and use it as mincemeat.
- To make the pastry, rub 225g cold, diced butter into 350g plain flour and mix in 100g golden caster sugar with a pinch of salt.
- Combine the pastry into a ball (don’t add liquid) and knead it briefly.
- The dough will be fairly firm, you can use the dough immediately, or refrigerate it for later use.
- Preheat the oven to 180C as well as line patty tins.
- Add small sized balls of pastry into each hole and spoon mincemeat into the pies.
- Now take slightly smaller balls of pastry than before and pat them in between your hands to make round lids, big enough to cover the pies.
- Top the pies with their lids, pressing the edges gently together to seal, (The pies may now be frozen for up to 1 month).
- Brush the top of the pies with milk and bake for 20 minutes until golden.
- Leave it to cool in the tin for 5 minutes and remove it on a wire rack.
- To serve, lightly dust it with icing sugar.