Caramel Custard is a traditional French dessert with creamy caramel over silky custard.
Time: 50 minutes
- 2 cup milk
- 3 egg
- 2 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 3/4 cup sugar
- In a thick bottomed pan, add 1/4th cup sugar. To this sugar, add a few drops of water and heat on medium
- flame till the sugar caramelizes. Keeping the flame low is important or the sugar will burn. Then pour the
- caramel into a deep bowl or mould and allow it to come down to room temperature.
- Now, heat milk in another bowl and add 2 1/2 cups of water in it. Break eggs into the bowl. Add half cup of
- sugar, vanilla essence and whisk the mixture gently till frothy. You may use a hand blender or whisker for better
- results. You must keep whisking till the colour turns white.
- Add little warm milk over this mixture and mix well. Strain the mixture and keep it aside. Now pour the caramel
- in the mould and then add this egg mixture over it. Cover with aluminum foil. In a cooker add two cups of
- water. Put a ring at the bottom and on top of it put the mould. Close the lid and steam for 25 minutes. Do not
- use the whistle. Remove when done. You will have to keep the flame on medium. Once done, check by
- inserting a skewer. If it comes out clean, your custard is ready. If not, you need to steam it for another 5-7
- Serve the custard with caramel side up, either hot or cold. You can serve it with a dollop of cream or vanilla ice-
- cream or with the fresh fruits of your choice.