Idli podi is a flavorful spice powder to accompany south Indian breakfast idli, dosa, upma. Also one of the most common idli varities.
Time: 4 hours
- 1.5 cup – red Rice
- 1/2 cup – parboiled Rice
- 1/2 cup – whole Urad Dal (without skin)
- 1/2 tsp – Fenugreek seeds
- Salt to taste
- To season:
- 1 tsp – Mustard Seeds
- 1 tsp – Urad Dal
- A few Curry leaves
- 1 tsp – paruppu podi
- Wash and soak the red rice, parboiled rice and whole urad dal with fenugreek seeds separately for at least 4 hours.
- Grind as bit coarse batter with enough water in a grinder and add enough salt, mix well and let it ferment.
- While making the idlis, grease the microwave idli plate and pour a teaspoon of idli batter, cook it for a minute on high.
- Once done, remove the mini idlis from the pan and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a microwave safe bowl and add mustard seeds, urad dal and curry leaves, heat it for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the mini idlis, paruppu podi to the tempered spices, toss everything.
- Keep the bowl in the microwave oven and cook for another minute on medium.