Treat yourself to a homemade quick lunch of sticky sausages topped with fried onions.
Time: 35 minutes
- 8 good-quality pork sausages
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 onions
- , thinly sliced
- 1 tsp yellow or black mustard seeds
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 4 part-baked mini baguettes (or cut a French stick into 4 pieces)
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- large pinch brown or muscovado sugar
- 2 tsp wine or cider vinegar
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Place the sausages in a non-stick baking tray and roast for 20 mins.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a frying pan and cook the onions and mustard seeds together for 10-15 mins until softened and golden.
- Remove the sausages and brush with maple syrup. Pop the baguettes onto the same baking tray. Increase the oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7 and return the tray for 5-8 mins
- until the sausages are dark, shiny and cooked through.
- Stir the mustard, sugar and vinegar into the onions until the sugar has melted. Cut the baguettes open across the top and put 2 sausages into each. Spoon over the mustardy
- onions and serve.