Bring a touch of Japan to your next barbecue with these easy-to-prepare yakitori grilled skewers. A popular Japanese finger-food, yakitori are made from tender pieces of chicken on a wooden skewer and barbecued over an open flame with a sweet, soy based sauce.
Time: 30 minutes
- Boneless chicken 600 grams
- Honey 2 tablespoons
- Salt to taste
- Sesame oil (til oil) 2 tablespoons
- Soy sauce 1 tablespoon
- Spring onion bulbs 3-4
- Green capsicum 1
- Ginger 1 inch piece
- Garlic 10-12 cloves
- Oil 2 tablespoons
- Quarter spring onion bulbs andchop little of the stems. Cut green capsicum into ½ inch pieces. Roughly chop ginger, crush garlic cloves and put both in a blender jar. Add
- soy sauce and blend well.
- Transfer the mixture into a bowl. Add sesame oil, honey and salt and mix.
- Cut chicken into ½ inch pieces and put into the marinade and mix well and rest for 1 hour in a refrigerator to marinade.
- Heat 3 tbsps oil in a non stick pan.
- String onto each skewers in the following order: capsicum, chicken, spring onion, chicken green capsicum, chicken and spring onion.
- Place the skewers in the pan and cook, rotating them to ensure even cooking all around.
- Drizzle remaining marinade over the skewered ingredients while cooking and cook till chicken is done.
- Arrange them on a serving plate and serve hot.