Here’s how to get your barbeque chicken brilliantly chargrilled, juicy and perfectly cooked.
Time: 1 hour 3o min.
- Chicken on the bone cut into 4 pieces 500 grams
- Barbeque sauce 1 tablespoon
- Oil 1 tablespoon + for greasing
- Onion finely chopped 1 medium
- Garlic minced 1 tablespoon
- Tomato ketchup 1 cup
- Red chilli sauce 1 tablespoon
- Mustard powder ½ teaspoon
- Red chilli powder 1 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper powder to taste
- brown sugar/jaggery 2 tablespoons
- Vinegar 1 tablespoon
- Butter 1 tablespoon
- Onion cut into roundels and separated into rings 1 medium
- Preheat oven at 200ºC. Grease a baking tray with oil.
- Make incisions on the chicken pieces.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a non-stick pan. Add chopped onion and sauté till it turns translucent. Add garlic and sauté on high heat for a minute.
- Add tomato ketchup, chilli sauce and Worcestershire sauce and mix well. Add mustard powder, red chilli powder, salt and pepper powder and mix well.
- Add 1 tablespoon brown sugar and vinegar, mix well and simmer for 10 minutes or till the sauce thickens. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Take chicken in a bowl. Reserve some of the prepared sauce for serving and add the remaining sauce to the chicken and mix well. Set aside to marinate for ½ hour.
- Place marinated chicken on the greased tray, put tray in preheated oven and roast for 15-20 minutes.
- To make caramelized onion, heat butter in a non-stick pan. Add onion rings and sauté till pink. Add remaining brown sugar, mix and let it caramelize. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Transfer the chicken on a serving plate and serve hot with reserved sauce and caramelized onions.